- What is GALA?
- How do I enter GALA?
- Why would we want to enter?
- Who can enter GALA?
- What information is required for advertising category submissions?
- What are Grand Awards?
- Is there an entry fee?
- Are the entry fees refundable?
- How many entries can I submit?
- How do I submit my entry forms?
- I'm having trouble saving my entry form.
- Can I submit my photos after the payment?
- I'm having trouble attaching my photos to my online entry.
- Who are the Judges?
- When will the judging process begin?
- What are the judging criteria?
- What are Judges looking for in the category of land plan submission?
- What are Judges looking for in the category of Community
of the Year?
- My Community of the Year entry is still in land development
during the Judging Period.
- My Home Design entry is still in drywall stage during the
- My Land Plan entry is still in the marketing stage during the
- How do we purchase tickets?
- Do we receive complimentary tickets with our entries?
- Cat. 28 Clubhouse Merchandising: How do I determine the sub categoriy size of clubhouse or club area?
- What about EHO logos or statements?
- How do I order a duplicate award?
- What is GALA? (Top)
- GALA (Great American Living Awards) program is the most prestigious residential design, sales, and marketing competition in the metropolitan Washington market. Builders, developers, architects, sales, marketing, merchandising, and advertising professionals have judged these awards for more than 50 years and to win a GALA is considered the "Best of the Best."
- How do I enter GALA? (Top)
To get started, simply visit the My Forms page and enter your login credentials or register as a new user for the 2013 GALA Awards. Your username is your email address (assuming you previously created an account during the 2012 award entries). You can utilize the "Forgot Password" feature to retrieve your password if necessary.
For NEW Accounts: On the new account registration form you will need to provide a valid email address and password along with your basic contact information, and choose your company from the list of members. Once you have submitted this information, you will receive an email that confirms your registration. Then, you're ready to start submitting entries!
You can view and create entry forms once you log into the system. Just follow the simple steps and fill out the easy form for each entry. Remember, for each entry, you must create a unique name for your form to distinguish it from your other entries in the same category. For more specific instructions on entry forms, visit the Entry Forms page. Once all information is completed on your entry forms, you can submit your entries and proceed to payment.
- Why would we want to enter? (Top)
- To be a GALA winner signifies excellence and the finest the industry has to offer. It translates into true value for the consumer and signifies acknowledgement of excellence by peers. GALA is a true mark of distinction — assurance that your home, community, and the sales and marketing efforts that support it meets the highest standards. In recent years, consumer awareness and acceptance of the awards has increased, adding value to entrants.
- Who can enter GALA? (Top)
The Maryland-National Capital Building Industry Association, the Northern Virginia Building Industry Association and the Washington Metropolitan Sales and Marketing Council invite any member who is developing, building, marketing or selling housing and communities in the Washington area to enter.
The entrant must be a member. Only members are allowed to display the GALA logo or use it as a marketing tool. Architects, Ad Agencies, Merchandisers, and any others who submit on behalf of builders/developers must also be members. Entries must be a new home, community, or rental apartment community located in one of the following areas: District of Columbia; Maryland Counties: Anne Arundel, Baltimore County/City, Calvert, Charles, Frederick, Howard, Montgomery, Prince George’s, Caroline, Dorchester, Kent, Queen Anne’s, Somerset, Talbot, and Wicomico, and St Mary’s; Virginia Counties: Alexandria, Arlington, Caroline, Clarke, Culpeper, Fairfax, Fauquier, Frederick, Loudoun, Prince William, Spotsylvania, and Stafford; West Virginia Counties: Berkeley and Jefferson; Delaware Counties: Kent and Sussex.
All entries must have been available for sale, rental, sold, or viewed by 6/25/2013. All Advertising Entries must have been published between 6/30/2012 - 6/25/2013. On-site visits by judges will occur between July and August 2013.
- What information is required for advertising category submissions? (Top)
All Advertising Entries must have been published between 6/30/2012 - 6/25/2013.
- What are Grand Awards? (Top)
- Home of the Year honors the best in Design & Architecture and Interior Design/ Merchandising for a Model. It’s a combined entry from Design & Architecture and Interior Design/Merchandising entries. Home of the Year cannot be entered; selections are made by the judges based on the entire field of entries in all Interior Merchandizing and Architecture for a given year.
The multi-family category includes condominiums and rentals.
Community of the Year requires a single entry.
Lifetime Achievement and Sales Person of the Year are based on selections made by the judges.
- Is there an entry fee? (Top)
Yes, for all Sales Achievement Categories there is an entry fee of $160 per entry. All other categories will have an entry fee of $460 per entry submitted and paid by June 25; $485 per entry submitted and paid after June 25. Deadlines: Completed Entries and Fees must be received at NVBIA by 5:00pm: Early Bird—Tuesday, June 25, 2013; Final—Tuesday, July 9, 2013.
- Are the entry fees refundable? (Top)
- Entry fees are non-refundable.
- How many entries can I submit? (Top)
- You can enter as many entries as you would like as long as each meets the criteria. View Categories and Eligibility. You may also enter multiple categories with the same product.
- How do I submit my entry forms? (Top)
- Once your entry form is saved, you will see an option at the top of the entry form screen that reads “Submit Entries.” This link will allow you to formally submit your entries to NVBIA. The online entry system will allow you to submit multiple entries at one time.
- I'm having trouble saving my entry form. (Top)
- An entry form that has been opened for a lengthy time may need to be refreshed. To prevent loss of any information, create a name for your form and save the form first before entering information in all fields.
- Can I submit my photos after the payment? (Top)
You may submit photos by sending them in CD format and clearly marked with your name and category to: NVBIA at 3684 Centerview Drive, Suite 110-B, Chantilly, VA 20151. Attn: Sharon Smith. Deadline: Must be received by 5:00pm on Tuesday, June 25, 2013 for Early Bird and by Tuesday, July 9, 2013 for Final Deadline.
- I'm having trouble attaching my photos to my online entry. (Top)
Please send your photos on a CD and clearly marked with your name and category to NVBIA, 3684 Centerview Drive, Suite 110-B, Chantilly, VA, 20151 Attn: GALA. Winning entry photos will be used at Awards reception. Image specifications: Dimensions: 7" wide by 5.25" tall; Resolution: 72dpi or 96dpi; File Format: RGB .JPG.
- Who are the Judges? (Top)
- A distinguished panel of Building Industry Professionals selected for their expertise in New Home and Community Design, Building, Interior Design and Merchandising, Marketing and Sales.
- When will the judging process begin? (Top)
The Design & Architecture and Interior Design/Merchandising category judges are in the field judging during July and August 2013. The judges are encouraged to set appointments before visiting the entry. Sales Achievement judges will be judging entries and selecting the finalists. Interviews of finalists will take place, after which the winners will be chosen.
- What are the judging criteria? (Top)
- The major criterion for Design & Architecture and Interior Design/Merchandising is the best combination of design excellence, value and overall quality of living for its target market. For Sales Achievement the judges are looking for the best examples of individual face-to-face sales professionalism at the community level, and not the highest volume. The winners in each of these categories will embody the highest standards that represent the best qualities of our industry.
- What are Judges looking for in the category of land plan submission? (Top)
- Judges look at the special features, street network, landscaping, lighting, home/building orientation to streets, amenities, and open space. The land planner, as opposed to the architect, should be included in the entry information.
- What are Judges looking for in the category of Community of the Year? (Top)
- Judges look for the relationship among different land uses, special features, street network, landscaping, home/building orientation to streets, amenities and open space. If applicable, judges look at website design, advertising, merchandising, and marketing for the community.
- My Community of the Year entry is still in land development during the Judging Period. (Top)
Judges encourage entries to be in at least active land development stage during judging. Entries may be submitted as long as entry form is complete for the judges.
- My Home Design entry is still in drywall stage during the Judging Period. (Top)
- Judges encourage entries to be in at least drywall stage during judging. Judges are looking for the balance of design, value and curb appeal, and of course, consumer acceptance. Entries are not based on interior decorating.
- My Land Plan entry is still in the marketing stage during the Judging Period. (Top)
Land Plans may also be submitted as long as the entry form is complete for the Judges.
- How do we purchase tickets? (Top)
Tickets will be available for purchase online on August 7, 2013 until supply is gone; limited seating!
- Do we receive complimentary tickets with our entries? (Top)
- No complimentary tickets are given to those who have entered GALA. However, sponsors receive complimentary tickets depending on their level of support. View the Sponsor section on website for more details.
- Cat. 28 Clubhouse Merchandising: How do I determine the sub categoriy size of clubhouse or club area? (Top)
For puposes of determining appropriate sub category, Clubhouse Size is the Interior Sq. Footage of free standing structure. Or Sq. Footage within the Designated Club Area inside a building.
- What about EHO logos or statements? (Top)
Entries in Categories 1-2, 13, 23-27, and 29-30 must display Equal Housing Opportunity logo or statement.
- How do I order a duplicate award? (Top)
- Please click here click here to download the order form with instructions on how to place your order.